Friday, July 25, 2008

Finished

I finished Peter Kreeft's Making Sense out of Suffering. You might recall I posted a few weeks back that I'd begun the book and was quite taken with it. I can commend it to you wholeheartedly. It ranks as one of the best books on the topic, I've read. Kreeft is deliberate. His arguments for considering suffering as part and parcel of pointing one to the Eternal are persuasive. Perhaps the best tool he employs is a dialogue between the Author and the Reader. This was a risky choice that could have back-fired, instead, it drew me in and helped me concede the questions I have about suffering and to whom they are ultimately addressed.
For more on the book, you'll have to read it. I think you should. Yes, I said should.

Another book on suffering I appreciated, R.C Sproul's Surprised by Suffering. A book I cannot say I 'liked', but would recommend as a resource on the subject of suffering is Soren Kierkegaard's The Sickness Unto Death. Inviting title, isn't it??
A similar book worth exploring on death and dying- edited by Fr. Richard John Neuhaus, is The Eternal Pity. Essentially it is a collection of numerous essays, both contemporary and ancient on death.

So much for an uplifting post. Go well this day dear reader.

No comments: