Saturday, February 6, 2010

Numbers

I posted on facebook at the first of this year that I'd be calling the year by its proper name- "Twenty-Ten". I haven't the stamina to keep up with all the syllables it takes to say "Two-thousand and ten" It might sound like a trifling thing to you, dear reader, but heck, it's a shortcut with which I can, and will live. I hope you can. All this introduction and meandering to say that I wrote a poem a while back with numbers in the title. And I re-titled it today so it could go in this decade.

Twenty-Ten

Look how we’ve far we’ve come:

to see slaughter
of man in broad daylight,
while distracted experts
argue the temperature of earth.

There is no one righteous, not even one.

Watch the ascent of humanity:

Pharisees in Babylon order she has the right;
Science ordains the puncture of a helpless skull,
Does the pith in the verse stab your mind?

No comments: